White House, Winter Olympics, New York Fashion Week: Your Monday Briefing
• The president, who has a historical past of defending males accused of wounding ladies, expressed sympathy for these accused, lamenting on Saturday that “a mere allegation” might damage a repute.
Kim’s sister takes Olympic highlight
• Kim Yo-jong, the sister of the North Korean chief, Kim Jong-un, was the discuss of the Winter Games over the weekend, with out ever talking publicly throughout her go to to South Korea.
Her quietly pleasant method endeared her to some observers (although to not Vice President Mike Pence). Others feared she lulled individuals into forgetting the North’s rights abuses.
Separately, NBC apologized after certainly one of its analysts made remarks about South Korea’s painful historical past with Japan that ignited outrage.
• Here are at this time’s outcomes. You can discover all of our Olympics protection right here.
Fears of a Mideast ‘explosion’
• “Across Gaza,” our correspondent writes, “daily life, long a struggle, is unraveling before people’s eyes.”
A standoff between Hamas, the militant Islamist group that guidelines the territory, and Fatah, the secular occasion within the West Bank, has pushed the territory to the brink of collapse.
• The danger of a confrontation with Israel, which has maintained a blockade on Gaza for greater than a decade, has additionally escalated.
“The Daily”: Russia on the Olympics
• The nation was banned from the Winter Olympics, however 169 individuals are nonetheless competing as “Olympic athletes from Russia.”
Listen on a pc, an iOS machine or an Android machine.
• The sale of the Weinstein Company has hit a snag. New York’s lawyer common filed a lawsuit Sunday to dam the deal until it justly compensated Harvey Weinstein’s victims.
• Bonuses now signify an even bigger portion of payroll budgets than wage will increase.
• Waymo, Google’s self-driving automotive unit, settled a lawsuit it had filed towards Uber.
Now Waymo faces an excellent greater struggle: competitors from its former engineers.
• A report on client costs might make clear the inflation fears that helped gasoline current market turmoil. It’s one of many headlines to observe this week.
• U.S. shares have been up on Friday. Here’s a snapshot of world markets at this time.
Tips, each new and previous, for a extra fulfilling life.
• Wednesday is Valentine’s Day. Celebrate it at house with these recipes.
• Here’s what to do in case your iPhone battery goes dangerous.
• Go meatless with creamy polenta and mushrooms cooked in soy sauce and butter.
Over the Weekend
• A Russian jet crashed shortly after takeoff close to Moscow, killing all 71 individuals on board.
• Democrats plan to redact a memo defending the F.B.I.’s conduct within the Russia investigation, after President Trump mentioned he wouldn’t declassify it as written.
• Two law enforcement officials have been shot and killed close to Columbus, Ohio, whereas responding to a name involving potential home abuse. A suspect is in custody.
• Israel clashed with Syrian and Iranian army forces in cross-border strikes that might mark a harmful new section in Syria’s civil struggle.
• “Fifty Shades Freed” earned $38.eight million and the highest spot on the North American field workplace. The significantly extra family-friendly “Peter Rabbit” was second.
• A defining second for black America
A primary-person essay in The Times Magazine discusses this week’s launch of “Black Panther,” and what the movie means for African-Americans.
“We have, for centuries, sought to either find or create a promised land where we would be untroubled by the criminal horrors of our American existence,” Carvell Wallace writes.
We additionally spoke with the director, Ryan Coogler, and a few of the movie’s stars.
• In memoriam
Asma Jahangir, a Pakistani activist, gained world acclaim by defending the rule of legislation in a rustic the place it has confronted near-constant threats. She was 66.
• Off the runway
New York Fashion Week is in full swing, and a photographer captured the look of the group.
Our chief trend critic, Vanessa Friedman, reviewed the Alexander Wang and Victoria Beckham reveals.
• Quotation of the day
“We are dead, but we have breath.”
— Zakia Abu Ajwa, 57, who cooks greens usually fed to donkeys for her grandchildren in Gaza, which the U.N. says is close to collapse.
• The Times, in different phrases
Here’s a picture of at this time’s entrance web page, and hyperlinks to our Opinion content material and crossword puzzles.
The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show opens in New York at this time, an occasion that payments itself because the world’s best canine present. The competitors has cultivated a robust following because it opened in 1877 on the venue that later grew to become referred to as Madison Square Garden.
So the place did the “Westminster” come from?
In the 1870s, a gaggle of males met usually on the Westminster Hotel close to Union Square. They had a rare affinity for the bar, in addition to for canine, and so they determined to placed on a canine present.
“The Dog Show, 125 Years of Westminster,” by William Stifel, particulars what occurred subsequent.
They couldn’t agree on the identify for his or her new membership. But lastly somebody advised that they identify it after their favourite bar. The thought was unanimously chosen, we think about, with the hoisting of a dozen consuming arms.
The present is the second-oldest repeatedly run sporting occasion in America, after the Kentucky Derby.
The first present had over 1,200 entries, and the judging took a number of days. (Here’s our 1877 report on the preparations.)
Last yr, the present had shut to three,000 canine from all 50 states. Judges maintain themselves to 2 days.
Here’s our assortment of tales on the present. We’ll have reside protection on Tuesday.
Claudio E. Cabrera contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is printed weekdays and up to date all morning. Browse previous briefings right here.
Sign up right here to get it by electronic mail within the Australian, Asian, European or American morning, or to obtain an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights. Check out our full vary of free newsletters right here.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
Continue studying the principle story