Europe Edition: Michael Flynn, Argentina, Myanmar: Your Friday Briefing
Separately, the U.S. Navy has ended its seek for three sailors who’ve been lacking since a transport aircraft crashed close to Japan this week.
• Rwanda has supplied to deal with or assist repatriate a few of the hundreds of African migrants being held in Libya and reportedly auctioned there as slaves.
“Given Rwanda’s political philosophy and our own history, we cannot remain silent when human beings are being mistreated and auctioned off like cattle,” the nation’s Foreign Ministry stated in an announcement, referring to the 1994 genocide there.
Above, migrants in Tripoli, Libya, this month after being rescued by the Libyan Navy.
• The radiation cloud that wafted over Europe this fall, which in all probability got here from a Soviet-era nuclear plant in Russia, posed no risk to human well being or to the atmosphere. But Moscow’s shifting statements and reluctance to launch info have raised worries about extra harmful leaks sooner or later.
“The cover-up is more interesting than the accident,” one knowledgeable stated.
Above, a river close to the nuclear plant that will have been the supply of the latest leak.
• The conviction of Ratko Mladic, the previous Bosnian Serb commander, on warfare crimes costs was meant to shut a chapter on a battle that unleashed Europe’s worst atrocities since World War II.
But Serbia, which was seen because the aggressor within the Bosnian wars, has by no means accepted duty for the crimes dedicated within the identify of the Serbian folks, and has even welcomed convicted warfare criminals again into the fold. Above, supporters of Mr. Mladic in Belgrade.
The nation is torn between its shut relationship with Russia and the prospect of E.U. membership, which is shedding public help. “If we want to be a part of it, we have to make up our minds,” one analyst stated, “and sooner rather than later.”
• It’s Black Friday, a day of gross sales that marks the unofficial starting of the vacation purchasing season within the U.S. however is spreading throughout the Atlantic. Above, a billboard in London.
• Wherever Mark Zuckerberg goes in Silicon Valley, he appears to generate a housing downside, together with at a group for leisure autos the place residents have been evicted this month.
• Meet the 2 males who’re competing for what could be the most coveted job on Wall Street: operating Goldman Sachs.
• The European Banking Authority is predicted to unveil right now the outcomes of its newest transparency train for greater than 130 banks within the area.
• Here’s a snapshot of worldwide markets.
In the News
• Myanmar and Bangladesh stated that they had moved nearer to the attainable repatriation of tons of of hundreds of Rohingya. Above, a refugee camp in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. [The New York Times]
• Robert Mugabe, the longtime chief of Zimbabwe who was ousted final week, will proceed to stay within the nation along with his spouse, Grace, his spokesman stated. [The New York Times]
• E.U. leaders are assembly right now in Brussels with representatives from six Eastern European international locations. [Deutsche Welle]
• German lawmakers have been advised that it’s “inappropriate” to make use of Twitter or different social media throughout parliamentary periods. They shared their ideas about that on Twitter. [Politico]
• Britain won’t be allowed to have one in every of its cities designated a European capital of tradition as deliberate in 2023 as a result of it can not be a part of the E.U., the European Commission stated. [The Guardian]
• A hearth at a waffle manufacturing facility outdoors Brussels blanketed the town with thick black smoke — and the odor of burned waffles. [Reuters]
Tips, each new and outdated, for a extra fulfilling life.
• Your cellphone isn’t gradual as a result of a brand new cellphone was launched: a conspiracy debunked.
• How to provide your fridge , deep cleansing.
• Recipe of the day: This weekend, get formidable with a recipe for sugarplum gingerbread cake.
• Nigeria has develop into a significant exporter of literary expertise, as younger fiction writers experiment with new genres. Above, Bibi Bakare-Yusuf, a Nigerian writer who’s increasing her imprint to the U.S.
• “Dark,” Netflix’s first unique German-language sequence, suggests German tv could also be getting into a brand new period.
• Residents on Croatia’s Adriatic coast hope to create a brand new native business based mostly on a wild daisy utilized in high-end cosmetics. So far they haven’t had a lot success.
• Switzerland’s Lauterbrunnen Valley, whose splendors have impressed poets like Wordsworth and Tennyson, is finest skilled by means of its well-marked mountaineering trails, our reporter writes.
• The remaining race of the Formula One season is on Sunday in Abu Dhabi, the place 20 finalists may even compete to develop into first world champion of the official Formula One online game.
Britain is a rustic wealthy in custom, and this week it displayed one in every of its lesser — however nonetheless curious — bits of pomp.
On Wednesday, the chancellor of the Exchequer, Philip Hammond, left his official residence at No. 11 Downing Street (the prime minister is at No. 10) holding a small purple field. He then traveled to Parliament to ship his annual finances.
The field typically accommodates the chancellor’s speech to the House of Commons.
The phrase “budget” comes from the outdated French phrase “bougette,” or little bag, drawing on a time when monetary paperwork have been carried in leather-based pouches. The British began utilizing a field within the mid-1800s and stored the identical one till, fairly battered, it was changed in 2010.
It is claimed that, in 1869, the chancellor, George Ward Hunt, arrived at Parliament solely to appreciate that he had left his speech behind. Chancellors since have held the field aloft upon leaving dwelling, a sight at all times dutifully photographed by assembled journalists.
Above, Hugh Dalton, then the chancellor of the Exchequer, earlier than presenting his finances in 1947.
The theatrics surrounding a brand new finances have been adopted by a few of Britain’s former colonies, together with India and the U.S., the place the Government Publishing Office proudly shows copies of the White House’s spending plan earlier than distributing them to Congress.
Charles McDermid contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is revealed weekday mornings and up to date on-line.
This briefing was ready for the European morning. Browse previous briefings right here.
We even have briefings timed for the Australian, Asian and American mornings. You can join these and different Times newsletters right here.
If images seem out of order, please obtain the up to date New York Times app from iTunes or Google Play.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
Continue studying the primary story