Europe Edition: Jerusalem, Brexit, Johnny Hallyday: Your Friday Briefing
• The European Commission stated that adequate progress had been made in Brexit talks to proceed to their subsequent section, which can deal with commerce and future ties. An deadlock on the Irish border had threatened to derail negotiations forward of a key summit assembly subsequent week.
Theresa May, Britain’s prime minister, had flown to Brussels within the early hours of Friday to seal the settlement with Jean-Claude Juncker, the fee’s president. (Here’s the assertion.)
Check again for updates.
• France bids farewell to 2 icons.
President Emmanuel Macron can pay homage to Jean d’Ormesson, the novelist, thinker and journalist who died on Tuesday at 92, in an official ceremony in Paris right this moment. (Above, Mr. d’Ormesson in 1974, when he joined the Académie Française.)
On Saturday, 1000’s of mourners are anticipated to line the Champs-Élysées to bid farewell to Johnny Hallyday, the rock star, as his physique is taken to a funeral Mass additionally attended by Mr. Macron.
(If Mr. Hallyday’s music was the soundtrack of your youth, please share your reminiscences. A number of solutions could also be printed.)
• Because 2017 was scary, the editors of The New York Times Magazine requested a few of the finest actors of the 12 months, together with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Kaluuya, to play a sequence of eerie roles briefly horror movies.
Watch the movies right here. And listed here are some behind-the-screams photographs.
• General Electric will reduce 12,000 jobs in its energy division worldwide because it seeks to adapt to seismic modifications in a market shifting towards renewable power. (Above, the fan meeting of a gasoline turbine.)
• A bunch of prime central bankers and regulators has agreed to new guidelines to assist avert future monetary meltdowns, simply because the Trump administration has begun enjoyable constraints on dangerous habits by banks.
• Coinbase, a digital foreign money alternate, is struggling to broaden quick sufficient to satisfy demand. (The common value of a Bitcoin crossed $16,000.)
• Analysts see large financial progress potential in Senegal, due to its secure politics and a foreign money assured by the French treasury.
• Here’s a snapshot of worldwide markets.
In the News
• Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, above, riled his Greek host at a tense information convention in Athens by calling for modifications to a 1923 treaty that defines the borders between the 2 NATO allies. [The New York Times]
• In Poland, a former banker, Mateusz Morawiecki, is ready to grow to be the following prime minister in a cupboard reshuffle. His occasion’s undisputed chief, Jaroslaw Kaczynski, will retain the true energy. [The New York Times]
• Tens of 1000’s of individuals rallied in Brussels in help of Catalan independence from Spain. [Politico]
• The true purchaser of Leonardo da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi” was the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman. [The New York Times]
• In Washington, Senator Al Franken is resigning after a sixth girl accused him of an improper advance and his help amongst fellow Democrats crumbled. [The New York Times]
• At a safety convention in Vienna, the American secretary of state and the Russian international minister traded barbs over the Russian annexation of Crimea. [The New York Times]
• A decide in Argentina is searching for the arrest of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, the previous president, on costs associated to an unsolved 1994 bombing, which killed 85 folks. [The New York Times]
• Australia’s Parliament voted overwhelmingly to legalize same-sex marriage, prompting celebrations and who is aware of what number of proposals. [The New York Times]
Tips, each new and outdated, for a extra fulfilling life.
• How to construct a gingerbread home. It’s simpler than you would possibly suppose.
• Choosing the perfect apps to your youngster’s tech requires some forethought.
• Recipe of the day: Try a brand new tackle an outdated favourite with crisp smashed potatoes.
• Meet Zia Caterina, above, who for 16 years has provided free journey for younger most cancers sufferers in her one-of-a-kind taxi in Florence. “My children may be sick, but they can and have to be happy,” she stated.
• “The Crown,” the Netflix drama in regards to the lifetime of Queen Elizabeth II, returns for its second season. Here’s a refresher on what has occurred thus far, and right here’s our evaluation of the brand new season.
• Cristiano Ronaldo gained soccer’s highest award, the Ballon d’Or, for the fifth time. (He’s now on par with Lionel Messi.)
• Some males of a sure age are embracing an unruly coiffure that implies mad genius.
• In an experiment that appears like an outtake from “The Matrix,” neurologists say they injected data into monkeys’ brains.
• We’re making a Facebook group for our most devoted readers to attach with our journalists. Please take into account nominating your self right here, and assist us make our reporting extra globally minded.
• Finally, some Finnish readers have identified that we haven’t talked about the nation’s centenary within the briefing. To treatment this, a belated hyvää itsenäisyyspäivää, Suomi!
Jerry Garcia as soon as stated the Grateful Dead was like licorice: “Not everyone likes licorice, however the individuals who like licorice actually like licorice.”
The Grateful Dead broke up on today in 1995, 4 months after Mr. Garcia’s dying, and after taking part in greater than 2,300 live shows over 30 years.
Even Mr. Garcia could have underestimated how lengthy die-hard love for the band would final — or how it might evolve, as seen in a visit by the Times archives.
In a 1973 article, “The Grateful Dead Makes a Real Good Hamburger,” our reporter known as the band “experts in the art and science of showing people another world.” Another Times author preferred the band’s “feathery locomotive groove.”
Our protection wasn’t all the time approving: In “Just What the Tie-Dyed Crowd Wanted,” from 1989, we famous that “Grateful Dead shows are as iffy as blind dates,” and this 12 months we referred to the band’s historical past as a “30-year hippie-pirate soap opera.”
More just lately, the Dead have been praised as music enterprise pioneers. They favored the now frequent system of touring over promoting data, and had been first to encourage followers to make and commerce live performance recordings.
In 2015, the remaining members reunited for “Fare Thee Well” exhibits. The common ticket worth for a few of them was $938.
Charles McDermid contributed reporting.
This briefing was ready for the European morning and is up to date on-line. Browse previous briefings right here.
You can get the briefing delivered to your inbox Monday by Friday. We have 4 world editions, timed for the Americas, Europe, Asia and Australia, and an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights. Check out our full vary of free newsletters right here.
If images seem out of order, please obtain the up to date New York Times app from iTunes or Google Play.
What would you prefer to see right here? Contact us at email@example.com.
Continue studying the principle story